• 0114 260 2600
The Sheffield College

Learner Support Fund

Learner Support Fund

We want there to be as few barriers to your learning as possible, therefore we will do everything we can to give you a hand. So if you need help paying for your course, getting to the college or paying for other costs the Learner Support Fund could be the answer. This fund offers financial support towards the cost of studying and is designed to help students who are encountering financial barriers to learning. We want to help with the basic but important necessities of undertaking a course at The Sheffield College such as having books and equipment for your course, allowing you to complete your studies.


What support is available?

16-18 Young Learner Support Fund

If you are under 19 on 31st August 2016, and enrolled on a Sheffield College course, you may receive support towards the cost of:

  • Travel
  • Books and materials
  • Uniform and equipment
  • Essential course trips
  • DBS checks (formally known as CRB)
  • If applying to university, UCAS registration fee and travel to interviews
  • NUS Extra

Learners aged 16-18 may also be eligible for a Guaranteed Bursary of £1200 if they are:

  • In care/classed as a ‘Looked After Child’
  • Been in care/classed as a ‘Care Leaver’
  • In receipt of income support
  • In receipt of ESA and DLA

How to Apply

  • If you need financial help for 2016/17 academic year, please contact student services reception at your campus.

Aged 16-19 and requiring help with childcare?

If you are a young parent, Care to Learn can help pay for your childcare and related travel costs while you’re learning.

Young people aged 16-19 with childcare needs should apply to Care to Learn.  Apply  www.gov.uk/care-to-learn/overview.

Free College Meals

Free College Meals are available for eligible 16-18 year olds who should apply using the Learner Support Fund application form. Sheffield College is introducing a cashless payment system this year using students’ ID cards.


Travel Passes

The 16-18 Student Pass entitles pass holders to concessionary travel on buses and trams in South Yorkshire. Pass holders are also entitled to half fare on Northern Rail train services in South Yorkshire.

To qualify for a 16-18 Student Pass you must be:

  • you are in full-time education* AND
  • you are aged 16 - 18 and born between 1 September 1998 and 31 August 2000 AND
  • you live in South Yorkshire and your household pays council tax to Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham or Sheffield councils

For more information, visit the Travel South Yorkshire website.