Sheffield College aims to ensure all students are safeguarded by:
Prevention and Promotion
- Robust staff recruitment
- Policies and procedures that support safeguarding and the promotion of Fundamental British Values: the values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance
- Close working relationships with partners who share a common purpose with regard to safeguarding; Social Care; Police; Local Authority Safeguarding team; schools; health services
- Staff awareness – how to promote the welfare and safety of young people and vulnerable adults, inclusive of the College being free from bullying and discrimination
- Implementation of the College’s Prevent Strategy, including ensuring staff are aware of their roles and responsibilities in preventing violent extremism, supporting those who may be at risk of radicalisation
- Implementation of the E-Safety Policy
- Actively promoting equality, inclusiveness and diversity
Protection and Support
- The College will identify young people and adults who are suffering or likely to suffer significant harm, including those at risk of radicalisation. The College will ensure all staff understand their role in identifying those at risk. Definition of abuse and signs of abuse can be found in the Safeguarding Policy.
- The College carries out risk assessments of students who declare a prior criminal conviction as outlined in the Criminal Conviction Policy.
- Where a young person or vulnerable adult is suffering significant harm, immediate action will be taken in accordance with the Children Act 1989 The Children Act 1989; and the statutory guidance within the DfE Working Together to Safeguard Children DfE Working Together to Safeguard Children.
- Action will also be taken to promote the welfare of students where it is recognised that additional support is needed, even if the student is not at immediate risk of harm.
- The College carries out full DBS checks on all employees and agency staff. It ensures contractors working with College are DBS checked and also, ensures apprentices working within healthcare, childcare, education professions are DBS checked.
Download our Safeguarding Policy here.
For all Safeguarding and Prevent issues, contact 0114 260 2600 or email email@example.com.