Skip to main content

Accommodation for International Students

At The Sheffield College we work to ensure that every student's stay is as rewarding and enjoyable as possible - that includes being in accommodation that is comfortable, enjoyable and safe.

Accommodation for International Students

Where Can I Stay?

Whilst you are studying in Sheffield, you can choose from a variety of accommodation styles to find the one that suits you best. Typically, these arrangements are either a homestay with a local household, or privately rented student accommodation.

Staying with a Host Family

Most of our International students choose to stay with a local family - known as a homestay - when they first come to Sheffield, as this gives them an opportunity to learn more about the city and the British way of life, as well as a chance to practice their English.

Students opting for homestay accommodation will have their own bedroom, and will sometimes share a bathroom with the host family. 

When living in homestay accommodation there are two options available:

Half Board (£160 per week)

  • Bed
  • Breakfast
  • Evening meal
  • All meals at weekends

Full Board (£180 per week)

  • Bed
  • Breakfast
  • Lunch (usually a packed lunch you will take with you to college)
  • Evening meal
  • All meals at weekends

The Sheffield College meets all host families before students move in and informs them what is expected of them when hosting a student.

The International Office will arrange homestay accommodation for you prior to your arrival in Sheffield. You must fill in an accommodation form when you apply for a course and send it to the International Office.

Rented Accommodation

If home-stay accommodation isn't for you, there are many independent living options available to students (not suitable for students under the age of 18).

  • Self-Catering Student Accommodation
  • Student Halls of Residence

In this type of accommodation students normally rent a room in a shared house or flat, with communal kitchen/bathroom areas, and you will be expected to arrange your own meals/food. You can rent directly from a private landlord, or through a student accommodation agency.

There are numerous student accommodation agencies in Sheffield (such as Unite Students) with accommodation in various locations across the city.

Please note:

  • If you decide to rent privately (whether through a landlord or an agency) you will be responsible for arranging and paying for your own accommodation during your stay in Sheffield
  • Contracts to stay in rented accommodation are normally a minimum of six months, or more commonly for the whole of the academic year (10 months)
  • You may be required to pay a deposit/rent upfront to secure your accommodation