Engineering has forever been associated with Sheffield and its people, known for its cutting-edge technology and innovation.
Engineering is inventive, creative and ever influenced by new technologies like VR, robotics and nanotechnologies.
We continue the tradition of developing high-skilled, innovative engineers in our workshops for careers in the development of aerospace technologies, the latest in low carbon and renewable energies, as well as looking into the modern day manufacture of materials such as steel.
Julian Yuste, former Engineering student
Picking the right course is the first step in your engineering career! Whether you choose a full-time study programme, join one of our Employer Skills Academies, head straight into an Apprenticeship, or choose one of our brand new T Levels, we're sure to have something that suits you and your learning style.
T Levels are a brand-new 2-year qualification which can be studied after you finish school instead of A Levels, Apprenticeships or vocational study programmes.
T Levels have been created with top employers, and mix classroom learning and industry experience so that you get the skills and knowledge to help you progress into your dream career.
From September 2023 we will be offering the following Engineering T Levels:
Depending on the course you choose you might study a variety of key engineering principles, including how to produce engineering drawings, computer-aided design (CAD) and materials used within the engineering industry. All of our engineering courses have practical and theoretical units and you may be expected to undertake an engineering project as part of your final assessment.
If you choose to apply for an Engineering Apprenticeship you will spend 80% of your time working for a local company who will facilitate your training; the remaining 20% will be spent at college, covering theoretical elements as well as giving you the time to complete your coursework and assessments.
At The Sheffield College, we pride ourselves on our links with high-profile employers. The engineering department works closely with companies such as Liberty Specialist Steels and Sheffield Forgemasters which enables us to improve our provision so that you’re learning the exact skills that your future employer will be looking for.
It also allows us to bring in visiting guest lecturers, get employer input and feedback on assignments and projects, and also provides an opportunity for our students to visit external companies so that they can see how the engineering skills they're learning in the classroom are translated into the workplace environment.
Looking to continue your engineering studies up to degree level? Our career-focused courses are just what you're looking for! Click on the links below to find out more:
Our engineering courses are housed at our Olive Grove Campus, which we’ve recently invested nearly £7 million in to provide you with workshops and teaching facilities that rival the biggest companies and all the latest equipment that you’d find in all the workshops around the world.
Olive Grove houses our automotive and motor vehicle suites, plumbing workshops and engineering classrooms and workshops. It also has a canteen and Learning Resource Centre on site as well, so you don't have to go far to get your lunch or your textbooks!
The engineering sector is a huge employer, both regionally and nationally, so you should be well placed to find a job once you finish your journey with us. There are set to be an increase of 1,900 jobs by 2025 in the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority alone. Plus with starting wages at around £10.50 per hour, career prospects in the engineering sector are pretty strong!
Many of our tutors still have links with their former businesses and employers, which means that they can advise you on obtaining a work experience placement or offer you interview tips.
Choosing a career path when you've only just left school can seem like a daunting prospect, but our Careers Advice Team are on hand to offer you the best impartial careers guidance going.
They can help you to figure out the kind of jobs that you might enjoy based on your interests, skills and hobbies; or if you already have a pretty good idea of what you'd like to do in the future they can give you some pointers on how to go further and land your dream job. You can talk to them whether you're still deciding on a course or even if you're about to make the jump from education into full-time work.
Ever wondered how much an accountant is South Yorkshire earns? Or what skills you need to become a developer?